7.20.2016

Tsujiri Toronto (Dundas Street West and Bay Street)


Hey Everyone!

I finally did it and thankfully without having to queue for an hour. Today my friends and I went to Tsujiri, the new all matcha Japanese cafĂ© that opened up in The Discovery District. Let me just say this visit has seriously been a long time coming. Ever since one of my friends mentioned this place to me back in March I’ve been seeing bazillions of pictures posted on Instagram (@naheedzzz, if you’re not following already -_-), and have been experiencing major FOMO. But yeah, I finally got some now so everything good in the hood.

This brand is spread all throughout Japan and has been open since 1860. Isn’t that crazy?! Just take in the fact that they’ve been open for one and a half centuries! The location I went to, which is the only one in Toronto, was a small little place which harboured a few two-person seating arrangements and one cute little seiza-style seating in the back of the restaurant. For those of you who don’t know, “seiza”-style seating is basically the tradition Japanese way of sitting on the floor.

I got the Matcha Chiffon Cake Parfait with Matcha Ice Cream on top. For your ice cream, you get a selection of matcha, matcha and vanilla twist, chocolate, or plain vanilla. The actual parfait had a matcha chiffon cake, layers of ice cream and frosted flakes with red bean, which I omitted and overall I really liked the parfait. After just having a bite of ice cream I could tell the matcha they used was really high grade. Good matcha always tastes pretty sweet, which is a result of the complexity of the amino acids in the powder they used. The bright green colour was lovely to look at and the chiffon cake nor the ice cream in the parfait had that fake bitter overwhelming grass flavor. If you love matcha this is a must try dessert.

The company even has a philosophy they’ve been keeping up with for more than 155 years:
TSUJIRI's philosophy of offering the best quality green tea remains the same by painstakingly selecting the best green tea leaves from the renowned harvest of Uji in Kyoto, using the traditional grinding method to bring out the best aroma and flavour.

Lets just say they basically had me at “155 years”, like seriously one and half centuries… still can’t get over that.  So yeah based on the treat I tried today, if you asked me I would definitely recommend you to try Tsujiri… just don’t expect me to pronounce it for you.

Happy Hump Day,
Naheeda


Fun Fact- Matcha is the only form of tea where the entire leaf is consumed.

TSUJIRI Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment